There is not a direct problem with Windows 8.0 and Exam 4 however Microsoft is now apparently pushing the update to 8.1. This push comes in the form of a popup taking over your screen prompting you to install the Windows 8.1 update. The maximum amount of time to delay this install is 4 hours, after that the window will come back again and again until you eventually cannot delay it further and the install will start. Both the nag window to update and the actual install can occur while you are in Exam4 taking an exam and that will cause Exam4 to lock up.
If you have Windows 8.0 and have been avoiding updating to 8.1 please go ahead and update at your earliest convenience so this does not happen during finals as it will lock up Exam4 and make your laptop unusable for taking exams.
Following your upgrade to Windows 8.1, be sure to download, install and test the Windows 8.1 version of Exam4.
The LBA will be hosting Dinner & A Movie at the Kentucky Science Center on Thursday, November 6. The legal community is invited for food and drinks from 5-6:30 p.m. and will then receive preferred seating for a screening of the classic film, “Inherit the Wind,” which is based on the 1925 Scopes “Monkey Trial.”
This could be a great opportunity for networking in a casual, fun atmosphere. Tickets are $20, but for law students we’re offering a discounted ticket of $15. This includes a buffet, complimentary beverage and movie candy to enjoy before or during the film.
For more information or to register, go to https://www.loubar.org/calendar/registration/?eventno=810 – or you may contact Jenny Bencomo at email@example.com or (502) 583-5314.
Some users who have upgraded to Mac OS X 10, Yosemite, have experienced network and printing issues on campus. This may be related to performing an update instead of a clean install. If you have experienced these issues or are considering updating to Yosemite please follow the instructions here, for a clean install of Yosemite. Once you have performed a clean install you will need to bring your laptop to Law IT in order to have the printers reinstalled.
New operating systems often have issues, especially in an enterprise environment (business/university) as opposed to home usage. If you have moved to Yosemite please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org, even if you have not experienced problems on campus, so that I may better help those who are having issues.
Please note that if you do update you will need to download the Yosemite specific version of Exam4 and are strongly encouraged to take another practice exam to ensure Exam4 will work properly during your finals.
Spring Clinic I (3 or 4 credit option) – 2015
The Robert and Sue Ellen Ackerson Law Clinic represents victims of domestic violence and other low income clients in Jefferson County District & Family Court. Most cases involve Emergency Protective Order hearings and housing/eviction cases.
The Ackerson Law Clinic is a student-run law firm supervised by Professor Shelley Santry. The student attorneys are responsible for handling all aspects of the cases. This includes interviewing the client, prepping the client for the hearing, gathering evidence, participating in hearings as a student attorney, and closing the case.
To be eligible to participate in the clinic, students must have completed 60 hours. This is a requirement under Rules of the Supreme Court (SCR) 2.540 to receive a limited license to practice law.
To apply, send an email to Professor Shelley Santry at email@example.com including the following:
- Name, phone number and email;
- Unofficial transcript;
- Statement of Interest (not to exceed one page).
DEADLINE is 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 5.
Exam4 for Fall 2014 final exams, including Professional Responsibility, is now available to download and install.
- The deadline to submit an Exam4 practice test to qualify to use your computer on Fall 2014 final exams is 11:59 PM EDT, Friday, October 24, 2014.
- All previous versions of Exam4 have expired, will not run, will not work, and will not help you.
- Exam4 no longer supports 32-bit Mac, Snow Leopard. Mac users with 32-bit Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) will need to purchase a new laptop or rent or borrow one for laptop testing and finals if they intend to use Exam4. You may follow these instructions to determine if you have 32- or 64-bit Snow Leopard.
You must always:
- Download and install the current version of Exam4 for your computer's operating system. Supported operating systems are listed here.
- Take and submit a practice test (choose "F14 Practice Exam" during start-up).
- For practice tests, identify yourself in the Exam Number field (twice) with your ULink user name (e.g., lhoswa01).
You must never:
- Ever, under any circumstances, identify yourself in Exam4 (or any other exam situation) using your UofL Student ID Number. This applies to practice tests, real exams—everything.
Within about an hour, you should receive a confirmation e-mail at your CardMail address. If you submit a practice test and do not receive the confirmation e-mail, then you have done something wrong and you must try again until you do.
Complete, detailed instructions for taking and submitting a practice test are here.