Law Study Abroad

The faculty of the University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law reaffirms that study of the legal systems and cultures of other countries enhances students’ legal education.  The Law School has developed relationships with certain foreign law schools.   Students who study abroad at these partner schools may qualify for a tuition or other advantage. However, students are also free to arrange for study at non-partner institutions.

Students may take up to thirty (30) hours at an ABA-approved program of foreign law study. Students may enroll for one or two semesters.   Students must obtain permission from the foreign host school; a faculty contact at the host school must be provided; and the curriculum and proposed course of study must be approved by the Assistant Dean for Student Life.  While international course work is generally elective in nature, the perspective requirement may be met through international course work.



Current Exchange Partners:

  • Universite de Montpellier (France)
  • EBS Law School (Wiesbaden, Germany)
  • University of Leeds (UK)
  • University of Luxembourg
  • Queens University Belfast

10.20.14 - Law STUDY ABROAD Information Session - HANDOUT 

Helpful Websites:

  • Criteria for student study at a foreign institution
  • Summary of law schools that offer foreign summer programs, winter intersession programs, semester and year-long study abroad programs

Legal Study Abroad Headquarters -

  • Summarizes foreign study programs by geographic region – Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, North America, Latin America, and Western Europe

University of Louisville International Center -



International Scholarship Opportunities 

The Department of Education also offers Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship grants to professional students. FLAS Fellowships offer students the chance to study a language for one year (generally--though not exclusively--those spoken outside of western Europe) in an eight-week intensive summer immersion setting at one of many universities in the United States.  All expenses are paid: tuition, room, and board. You could apply to go back the next summer for another intensive course, or alternatively pursue an advanced-level Critical Language Scholarship, Graduate Boren Fellowship, or Fulbright grant to the country in which the language is spoken.

Boren Fellowships

Critical Language Scholarship Program

Information on Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, George J. Mitchell, and Gates-Cambridge Scholarships

Exchange handout.docx21.77 KB
Study Abroad 10.20.14.pptx186.77 KB