Join the ABA Law Student Division 2014-2015 Leadership Team
Join the ABA Law Student Division
2014-2015 Leadership Team
Visit??ambar.org/lsdleadership??for the specific eligibility requirements,
nomination/application forms, deadlines, and delivery instructions.
The ABA Law Student Division has numerous leadership positions available either by election or appointment. Among the many opportunities and benefits, ABA Law Student Division leadership will provide you with:
- The opportunity to work with law student leaders across the country, including SBA Presidents, ABA Representatives, national law student organization leaders, as well as licensed attorneys and judges;
- The opportunity to participate in roundtables, debates, and discussions addressing law student issues and concerns;
- The ability to foster your leadership, diplomacy, and project management skills; and
- The opportunity to create policy and present legal education issues that affect law students regionally and nationally.
Past leaders have stated that the professional, educational, and personal rewards they gained from their experience as an ABA Law Student Division leader were invaluable. If you enjoy a good challenge and are ready to roll up your sleeves, enhance your leadership experience, and work toward improving the legal education experience of your fellow classmates, then we strongly encourage you to submit your nomination or application for one of the leadership positions outlined below. All candidates must be ABA Law Student Division members in good standing (dues paid in full). Nominations must be signed by your dean and postmarked by the deadline date indicated. Please visitambar.org/lsdleadership??for the eligibility requirements, the nomination/application forms, deadlines, and mailing instructions.
Law Student Division Board of Governors positions:
- Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary-Treasurer:??The offices of Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary-Treasurer are part of the Division's Executive Committee and participate in the Division's overall operations, long-range planning, execution of a legislative agenda, and developing/maintaining ABA membership in the Division. The officers work with the Circuit Governors, Delegates, and Division Liaisons to better serve law student members and work to increase awareness of ABA offerings to law students across the country. Officers are voting members of the ABA Law Student Division Board of Governors which meets four times per year.Nominations must be received via email by??11:59pm on February 1, 2014.
- Division Represenative to the ABA Board of Governor:??This officer position serves as a voting member on both the Division???s Board of Governors and the ABA Board of Governors. The representative advocates the Law Student Division positions to the ABA Board of Governors and works for adoption of Division and other initiatives filed with the ABA Board that directly affect law students.??Nominations must be received via email by??11:59pm on January 15, 2014.
- Circuit Governor:??The (15) circuit governors represent and advocate for law students in their regional circuits. Circuit Governors work with the Division officers, delegates and other ABA leaders to develop and promote ABA programs, offerings, services and initiatives. Circuit Governors also cultivate relationships with other leaders of the legal community in their circuit. Circuit Governors are voting members of the ABA Law Student Division Board of Governors which meets four times per year.Nominations must be received via email by??11:59pm on February 1, 2014.
- Student Editor for??Student Lawyermagazine:
The student editor works with the editor of??Student Lawyer??magazine and is responsible for authoring copy for??Student Lawyer's??Division Dialogue section and for reviewing magazine copy on a monthly basis. The student editor serves as a non-voting member of the ABA Law Student Division Board of Governors which meets four times per year.Applications must be received via email by??11:59pm on February 1, 2014.
The following positions are appointed andapplications must be received via email by??11:59pm on February 15, 2014.
- Entity Liaisons:??The Law Student Division appoints student liaisons to the over 60 ABA specialty practice areas. The Division Liaisons represent the Law Student Division to their appointed ABA specialty practice entity, work with those specialty practice areas to develop law student programs and services, and report to the Division on issues pertaining to law students that arise at entity meetings.
- National Student Directors:??One National Student Director is selected to coordinate the Division's VITA program while the other four directors are appointed to work with one of the Division's four competition committees: Arbitration, Client Counseling, Negotiation, and Appellate Advocacy. Travel is required for the competition positions.
If you have any questions or would like more information about any leadership position, please do not hesitate to contact us at??LSD-Nominations@americanbar.org??or one of the ABA Law Student Division leaders listed atambar.org/lsddirectory??for details.
Attend Your Circuit's Spring Meeting and Governor Election:
This message was sent toCarol.Simmons@americanbar.org. Your e-mail address will only be used within the ABA and its entities.
We do not sell or rent e-mail addresses.