Signing up for our New Live Client Law Client
As I discussed at the presentation to day, we will be offering a live client law clinic this spring. This is an exciting new opportunity her at the law school. The clinic will be located downtown at 416 W. Muhammad Ali Blvd. The topic will be housing cases referred to the clinic by Legal Aid (there may be other types of cases if timing and caseload permit, as determined in the discretion of Legal Aid). Students that participate will be representing these clients as the primary attorney dealing with the matter, and so this is a great opporunity to get some hands on experience with real clients.
The clinic will consist of a weekly classroom meeting, plus clinic office hours.
The clinic class will be limited to six students, and registration is only allowed by permission of the director, me. You can only take the clinic if you have completed 60 credit hours by the end of this semester. Here's how you apply.
Submit the following 3 documents to me by 4 pm on Tuesday, October 28 (my office is Room 286):
1. Statement of Intent of why you wish to participate in the clinic (maximum 1 page, single spaced).
2. Copy of your resume.
3. Copy of your transcript.
I will make a decision on who will be in the clinic by 5 pm on Wednesday, October 29. Late applications will only be considered if space remains after consideration of timely applications.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Housing court cases are heard during the morning, usually between 9 and 10:30 am. Therefore you should not schedule all of your other classes before noon. While we may be able to occasionaly arrange your case load to fit around your schedule to some degree, having extensive morning obligations will not work.
- There will be a classroom component which will meet everyweek downtown at the clinic.
- You will have to sign up for offices hours which will require you to be present in the clinic offices.
- The first week of school we will have a several hour "boot camp" to teach you about the basics of a housing case.Once we know everyone's schedule, we will arrange the time for this program.
- You will have to sit in on housing court before the semester begins.
Please contact me with any questions you may have.