Tackle any test anxiety that you have now. There are a number of strategies for test anxiety. The sooner you implement them, the better.
- The deeper your understanding of the material, the more likely that you will remember it during an exam. Study to understand and not just to remember.
- The more “avenues” that you create to retrieve information from long-term memory, the more likely that you will remember it during the exam. For example: read your outline; create a graphic; drill with flashcards; create hypos to illustrate; do practice questions; discuss with friends; etc.
- Do as many practice questions as possible. You will be more confident in your approach to the type of exam questions and more confident that you can apply the material to new facts.
- Begin doing relaxation exercises now. For simple relaxation techniques, visit https://louisville.edu/counseling/prismold/mediation-topics/relax.html/.
- Get extra sleep during the last week of classes and exams. You are more likely to remain calm during exams and remember material if you are rested.
- If your test anxiety is especially serious or long-standing, make an appointment with the Counseling Center to discuss additional techniques. 852-6585
Attention students graduating in December 2011, May 2012, or August 2012:
On Thursday, November 10, at 12:15 p.m., representatives from the Kentucky Office of Bar Admissions, including Mr. Grant Helman, Chair of the Character and Fitness Committee, will present a mandatory bar program for graduating law students on candor and related bar issues you may face when applying to take the bar.
ABA Standard 302(a)(5) requires that each student receive substantial instruction in “the history, goals, structure, values, rules and responsibilities of the legal profession and its members.” In addition, Interpretation 302-6 requires that the School of Law “involve members of the bench and bar in the instruction required by Standard 302(a)(5).” This program is designed to provide instruction on professionalism issues concerning law students and lawyers and also to satisfy the ABA’s requirement in Standard 302(a)(5).
Your attendance at the November 10 program is a requirement for graduation. If you have an absolute conflict that will prohibit you from attending the November 10 program, you must notify Dean Cross by November 4, so that alternative arrangements can be made.
Drum roll please... Lawlapalooza 2011: I Rocked the Law yielded over $4,181.25 from ticket sales, t-shirt sales, and band tips! This tally does not include band registrations and sponsors. The funds will be used to support the Ellen B. Ewing Fund.
Battle of the Bands Winners:
- 1st Place: Doug Kiel & Tyler Korus
Externship Opportunities for Spring 2012
Each semester, several opportunities exist for skills-based externship experiences. In spring 2012, student externs will be placed with the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office in Louisville, the Office of the Jefferson County Attorney, the Louisville Metro Public Defender’s Office, the Legal Aid Society, Jefferson County Circuit and Family Court judges, and the UofL Offices of Industry Contracts and Clinical Research Services. Information about requirements and enrollment deadlines is available on the TWEN course titled Externship INFORMATION Spring 2012. You may also contact Professor Jordan for information.
This is a reminder that the Office of Professional Development will be meeting with the first year students TODAY from 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. in Room 275. Dean Urbach will be giving helpful information regarding your resume, cover letters and interview skills. You won't want to miss this opportunity. Pizza and drinks will be served.
This is also a reminder that if you are interested in participating in the week-long projects lottery, please e-mail Jina Scinta by 3:00 P.M. TODAY. Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Alex White
- Tyler Korus
- Josh Porter
- Joe Mandlehr
- Brandon Johnson
- Luis Cartaya
- John Spalding
- Doug Keil
- Johnathan Ryan
- Richard Williams
- Zackary McKee
- Jackie Clowers
- Brad Hall
- Donavan Potter
2011 Brandeis Blitz Roster: Alex White, Tyler Korus, Josh Porter, Joe Mandlehr, Brandon Johnson, Luis Cartaya, John Spalding, Doug Keil, Johnathan Ryan, Richard Williams, Zackary McKee, Jackie Clowers, Brad Hal, and Donavan Potter. See the attached picture.