Student Bar Foundation News
The Student Bar Foundation is hosting its 13th annual Charity Auction and Trivia Night on March 24th at the Seelbach Hotel. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be available beginning at 5:30 PM. The trivia starts at 6:30 PM sharp. Please note the change of location.
This event will combine an evening of networking, fundraising and friendly competition among Louisville’s legal minds! Our goal is to raise money and awareness to benefit two very important programs: the Brandeis School of Law Public Service Summer Fellowships and the Law School’s Partnership with the Central High School Law and Government Magnet Program.
Donations of goods and services are still being sought. A list of suggested donations is available at our website. Some of the amazing auctions items that have already been donated include: a $1000 BARBRI certificate, two attendance passes to Dean Blackburn's classes, Mastering Professional Responsibility and Criminal Procedure Textbooks & Supplements, a $15 Molly Malone's gift certificate and much more.
Tickets are available in the Resource Center across from room 275 or by e-mailing either Samantha Thomas-Bush or Jayci Roney. The cost is $15 for students and $40 for everyone else. If any student organizations want to reserve a table for trivia, please contact either Samantha or Jayci. Six to a table for $15 each for a total of $90.
The Student Bar Foundation is hosting its 13th Annual Charity Auction and Trivia Night on March 24. Tickets will be available in the Resource Center across from room 275 beginning Monday. The cost is $15 for students and $40 for everyone else.
Students interested in SBF Fellowships or interested in helping with the SBF Fundraiser need to attend the informational meeting on Monday, February 8th at 12:15 pm in room 071 or speak with either Jayci Roney or Samantha Thomas-Bush. Brownies and cupcakes will be served.
All members are encouraged to apply to the Executive Board of the Student Bar Foundation. Thanks to those of you who made it to our meeting today.
Andrea Vetter will succeed to the Chair position next year. The positions that are open for next year are as follows:
1) Vice Chair- must be a second year next fall- the position will succeed to Chair in your third year.
2) Auction/Fundraising Chair
3) Publicity Chair
To apply, please submit a resume and short statement of your interest in SBF and why you would be a great officer. Statements should be no more than one page.Applications are due April 15th. Please submit your resume and statement of interest to Emily Zahn by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the same email address or contact any of the officers to discuss their current positions. Thanks!
Join us for a Student Bar Foundation meeting. We will meet in Room 177 at 12 noon on April 2, 2008. We will discuss our officer election process and devise a plan for participating in the Law School’s Community Service Day. Pizza will be provided.
To any members who helped solicit for this year's Charity Auction, if you have any notes or information that would help us with next year, please bring that to the meeting. Thanks.
The Student Bar Foundation is the charitable giving arm of the Student Bar Association. This student run organization helps raise and distribute funds for student fellowships or travel stipends for law-related public service work.
We raise funds each year through the generous donations of faculty, staff, students and the legal community. Each spring, we host a charity auction which raises money through a silent and live auction for our annual grants.
We are currently accepting applications for next year's officer positions. The positions available are Vice Chair (which succeeds to Head Chair in the following year); Fundraising Chair; Publicity Chair and Secretary/Treasurer.
To apply please submit a resume and a brief statement explaining why you want to be an officer for SBF (a couple paragraphs). You can either email these to SBF Chair Emily Zahn or place an envelope containing a hard copy in her mail file. Applications are due April 15, 2008.
Check out our website to learn more: www.law.louisville.edu/students/sbf
We are pleased to announce that this year's Charity Auction raised just over $9,000. Thanks so much to all the faculty, staff and students for your generous contributions and support.
$5,000 of our funds will go towards the University of Louisville Law Clinic set to begin in Spring of 2009. The Clinic is a program that matches well with the SBF mission. It is designed to help students develop essential lawyering skills and to partner with other units and civic organizations to address some of the unmet legal needs of the metropolitan community.
We are also excited about our 2008 Summer Fellowship recipient, Aaron Uslan. Aaron will complete a summer internship position at the Catholic Charities Office of Immigration Legal Service. CCILS provides comprehensive immigration legal services to low-income immigrants in the Louisville Metro Area. Thanks again to everyone for all of your help!
Join us for the Student Bar Foundation's Annual Charity Auction to be held on March 6, 2008 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the Louisville Bar Association located at 600 W. Main in downtown Louisville. All are welcome.
See our fabulous auction items under the STUDENT BAR FOUNDATION CHARITY AUCTION 2008 page.
STUDENT BAR FOUNDATION CHARITY AUCTION
We are pleased to present our auction items for 2008.
Thanks to our generous donors!
LIVE AUCTION ITEMS
1) Cardinals basketball autographed by the 2008 University of Louisville Basketball Team Members. A team on its way to great things. VALUE: PRICELESS.
2) PMBR 3-Day Intensive Seminar Course. A gift certificate for a 3-day course. Generously donated by PMBR. Value: $475.
3) SURPRISE EVENT with Dean Chen! Donated by Dean Chen. Dean Chen will host 3 students or individuals for a surprise event. VALUE: PRICELESS
4) One night stay and 18 holes of golf for two at Belterra. Enjoy a complimentary one-night stay in a deluxe room at Belterra Resort and Spa for two persons. A round of golf for a twosome on Belterra’s Tom Fazio Golf Course. Subject to availability. Some restrictions apply- no Saturday stays or golf outings. Friday and Sunday stays and golf rounds are included. Generously donated by Belterra Casino and Resort. VALUE:$250.
5) PMBR 6-Day Intensive Seminar Course. A gift certificate for a 6-day course- Generously donated by PMBR. Value:$799.
6) FIVE days of tickets for six to Churchill Downs.Donated by Mr. Robert Kohn of Fernandez, Friedman, Grossman, & Kohn. Excludes Derby Weekend. This package includes an exuberant derby hat donated by Dean Jim Chen.
7) BAR/BRI full Kentucky Tuition. A certificate towards A FULL BAR/BRI Bar Review Course in any of the following states: KY, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO ND, OH or SD. Generously donated by BAR/BRI. Excludes refundable book deposit and tax. Expires in Feb 21, 2012. value: $2500.
8) Golf Foursome at Valhalla. Play Valhalla- the home of the 2008 Ryder Cup. This golf package includes Tuesday through Friday before 11 or after 2pm and Saturdays, Sundays or holidays after 2pm. Caddies and carts are not included. Ryder Cup and Ryder Cup preparation restrictions apply. Generously donated by Woodward Hobson and Fulton. VALUE- priceless
9) Cincinnati Reds Game – Four tickets to the June 13th game of the Boston Red Sox at Cincinnati Reds. These tickets are no longer available. The four tickets are located in the first 15 rows on the third base line behind the visiting team’s dugout. Generously donated by Justin Vetter. ValuE: $1500.
SILENT AUCTION ITEMS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
Item 1: Wine Lover’s Basket Donated by: Gemelli Wine and Spirits
Item 2: Arthur Murray Dance LessonsDonated by Arthur Murray Dance Studios.
Item 3: Actor’s Theater for twoDonated by Fund for the Arts.
Item 4: A Night on the TownDonated by The Jazz Factory and SBF
Item 5: Dinner with Professor Cross Donated by Professor John Cross.
Item 6: Basketball signed by Darrell GriffithDonated by Darrel Griffith.
Item 7: A Soccer Party Donated by Mockingbird Valley Soccer.
Item 8: Knitter’s Dream Basket Donated by Knit Nook and Emily Wang Zahn.
Item 9: Edenside GalleryDonated by Edenside Gallery.
Item 10: Dinner Around the WorldDonated by Sahara, El Mundo, Irish Rover, PF Chang’s.
Item 11: Bats Tickets for FourDonated by the Louisville Bats.
Item 12: Handcrafted Ceramic Platter Donated by Pottery by Linda.
Item 13: two Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Tickets Donated by Six Flags.
Item 14: Dance with GraceDonated by Dance with Grace.
Item 15: Try Scuba! Donated by Kentucky Diving Headquarters.
Item 16: A Legal History of KentuckyDonated by Prof. Kurt X. Metzmeier.
Item 17: Family Membership to BernheimDonated by Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest.
Item 18: A Much Needed MassageDonated by Luna Boutique.
Item 19: Dinner with Prof. Warren at Jack Fry’sDonated by Prof. Manning Warren.
Item 20: Books and CoffeeDonated by Carmichael’s Bookstore and Emily Wang Zahn.
Item 21: Family Membership to the Ali CenterDonated by The Ali Center.
Item 22: Dinner with Prof. LevinsonDonated by Professor Ariana Levinson.
Item 23: Dinner at Artemesia and DancingDonated by Artemesia and Arthur Murray Dance Studios.
Item 24: 5000 Westlaw PointsDonated by Westlaw.
Item 25: Bats TicketsDonated by The Louisville Bats.
Item 26: Dinner and MovieDonated by Baxter Theaters and Bristol Bar & Grille.
Item 27: Gourmet Gift Basket Donated by Tilford Dobbins Alexander Buckaway & Black.
Item 28: Kentucky Practice: Civil Procedure Forms, Vol. 11, 12.Donated by Prof. Leslie W. Abramson.
Item 29: Vincenzo’s: Dinner and DancingDonated by Frost Brown Todd. Dance lessons donated by Arthur Murray Dance Studios.
Item 30: Speed Art Museum MembershipDonated by the Speed Art Museum.
Item 31: Golf Accessory BasketDonated by Legal Aid Society of Louisville.
Item 32: Arthur Murray Dance LessonsDonated by Arthur Murray Dance Studios.
Item 33: Dinner and a Bats Game. Donated by Middleton Reutlinger.
Item 34: $500 off Liposuction Treatment. Donated by Dr. Leigh Walsh.
Item 35: The Perfect Lamp. Donated by Eyedia.
Item 36: Luxury Spa Package. Donated by Emily Wang Zahn and Andrea Vetter.
Item 37: Cookie of the Month Club. Donated by Mary Jo Gleason.
Item 38: Actor’s Theater Tickets for Two. Donated by Actor’s Theatre of Louisville.
Item 39: Runner’s Basket. Donated by Fleet Feet and the Student Bar Foundation.
Item 40: Metro Arts Center ClassesDonated by The Metro Arts Center.
Item 41: Two Golf LessonsDonated by Golf Galaxy.
Item 42: A Necklace for Her
Donated by Elizabeth Haendiges.AND MUCH, MUCH MORE. . . . We will have raffles for baskets donated by each class and roses for $20 which come with a gift certificate to a local establishment (generously donated by Prof. Laura Rothstein). It is not too late to donate. Make your donation now by emailing email@example.com. THANKS!