The IRS will accept up to three tax externs for the 2014 fall and 2015 spring semesters. The application deadline for fall 2014 has passed, but there are still two openings.
Externs work in the local office of the IRS under the direct supervision of IRS attorneys and Professor Blackburn. Externs do research and write memos, and they also attend meetings with taxpayers, and sometimes take the lead in representing IRS in meetings with pro se taxpayers. Externs meet with IRS audit agents, with legal counsel and CPAs representing taxpayers, are involved in trial preparation and some externs represent the IRS in U.S. Tax Court against pro se taxpayers.
If you would like more information, please contact Professor Blackburn as soon as possible so the required background check can be completed in time for the fall 2014 semester: firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-852-6384.
Gearing up for Spring 2015 and planning your classes? Consider this opportunity.
How about celebrating spring break of the Spring 2015 semester with service work in Belize? Learn more about this opportunity at UofL’s International Service Learning Program (ISLP) website http://louisville.edu/islp/. Law is one of several participating disciplines. The Law team lead by Dean Susan Duncan will develop restorative justice programs and work in schools and communities outside Dangriga. You can find out about past projects, see photos, and read about the work on the ISLP website. The service is rewarding and the memories last a lifetime! Plus, you’ll earn three hours of academic credit and build useful skills.
The priority deadline for the March 2015 trip is coming up soon on September 29th. Applications received after the priority deadline will be considered if space is available. Encourage your friends to apply along with you! Contact Dr. Joy Hart (email@example.com) or Dr. Kandi Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
the last day to add a class,
the last day to change a class to an audit,
the last day to receive 100% tuition reduction after withdrawing from a class and
have the W removed from your transcript after withdrawing from a class
The Center for Land Use and Environmental Responsibility is seeking a research assistant to work 20 hours per week in Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, and Spring 2016, as well as 40 hours per week in Summer 2015. The research assistant will work with Professor Tony Arnold, Professor Daniel DeCaro, and research assistant Alexandra Chase (third-year law student) on projects concerning watershed governance, public participation in environmental and natural-resource governance, the environmental regulation of land use, property law, watershed conservation, urban ecosystem conservation, adaptive governance and law, the psychology of public participation, and similar topics. The Center currently has two active grants and will be seeking additional grants. Current research assistants are or will be co-authors on forthcoming publications. Candidates will be selected on the following criteria:
- submission of a resume and cover letter to Professor Tony Arnold, email@example.com, no later than 5:00 p.m. on August 1, 2014;
- strong research and writing skills;
- strong interest in the environment, land use, and water;
- strong teamwork skills;
- the capacity to work independently to achieve identified goals and outcomes;
- both creative thinking skills and rigorous analytical skills;
- strong interpersonal skills;
- enrollment in the dual-degree program in law and urban planning OR experience in social-science or policy-science research OR experience in the ecological sciences OR experience in natural resource management or urban planning (non-law graduate students may apply but will be hired and paid based on the Law School hourly rate in the form of financial aid);
- commitment to work at the Center from August 2014 to May 2016; and
- the results of an interview with Center researchers.
The interviews will be the week of August 11, and the research assistant will begin August 18. To apply, send both a resume and a cover letter to Professor Tony Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 1, 2014.