Eastern Pkwy Reopens
Kentucky's Transportation Cabinet will embark upon a three-phase construction project to some of the main thoroughfares on the eastern and southern borders of Belknap Campus. Construction will begin in late August and is expected to be completed by the end of December. Enhancements to the area will include bike lanes, structurally enhanced bridges, increased safety, better signage, and a landscaped median.
The law school will be most impacted by Phase II that involves a major redesign of the portion of Eastern Parkway nearest Third Street. During that period, access along Eastern Parkway will be restricted. Visitors are encouraged to approach from either Third Street (west) or Cardinal Boulevard (north). Some of the spaces in the red, green, and blue parking lots will be temporarily relocated. TARC bus #29 will be rerouted at Crittenden Drive. The Black Loop will not be impacted.
Update, 6/21: Eastern Parkway between Third Street and the entrance to the Speed School of Engineering parking lot will be blocked off Tuesday morning, June 22, from about 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for the dedication and opening of the renovated Eastern Parkway bridge. The lot is accessible via Brook and Warnock streets during the ceremony. Gov. Steve Beshear, U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth, Metro Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson and other state and local officials will join UofL President James Ramsey for the ribbon-cutting ceremony. UofL Provost Shirley Willihnganz and student Preston Bates also will represent the university at the event. Eastern Parkway will be opened for traffic immediately following the ceremony. Old Eastern Parkway, which runs under the bridge, will remain closed until about July 1.
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Road Work Fact Sheet
- State Road Work Updates, Aug. 17-Dec. 31 (UofL updates)
- Local access closed lanes shifted on Eastern Parkway (UofL, November 12)
- TARC announces route changes (Courier-Journal, August 18)
- Road work near UofL to begin (Courier-Journal, August 17)
- Road work to start Aug. 17 (UofL, August 10)
- Rider Alerts: Rt. #29 Eastern Parkway Detour Throughout 2009 (TARC, August 6)
- State road projects to affect Belknap Campus fall semester (UofL, July 29)
- Stretch of Eastern Parkway Going On 'Road Diet' (Broken Sidewalk, July 27)