Intrastate Mock Trial Team Try-outs
The Kentucky Intrastate Mock Trial Competition is an annual event between Chase Law School, UK College of Law, and Brandeis School of Law. Each school hosts the competition every third year, and this year it's our turn. With winning comes bragging rights for the next year, but participation provides so much more. Mock Trial involves preparing openings, closings, directs, crosses - in other words, it's an actual trial (not like the 1L oral arguments). This is one of the few opportunities you will have as a student to really practice and integrate the skills necessary to conduct a trial. Not only will your participation in this competition give you an edge over your competition in today*s competitive job market, you will receive academic credit AND you will learn the Rules of Evidence backwards and forwards. We invite all 2Ls and 3Ls interested in building vital skills to participate.
1) Dates for the competition: Nov. 13th & 14th (the weekend after the MPRE);
2) Students must either be enrolled in or have already taken evidence;
3) Tryouts will be during the day, from 12-2 PM on September 10, 15 and 17 and also from 9-11 AM on September 16. Sign-up lists are posted on the MCB door.
4) Email Heend Sheth a resume with "Mock Trial" in the subject line and prepare a three to six minute opening statement based on the attached Mock Trial problem to deliver at your tryout. The try out problem is long (44 pages); PLEASE don't create an in depth opening. Just read the statement of facts (1 page) and 1 or 2 witness depositions (a few pages each) and create a "light" opening.
5) Practices will take place twice a week (one during the day on a weekday and another on the weekend) at the law school.